Jan Harris Aniel, Esq.
1019 Gateshead Lane
Charlotte NC, 28105
Jan H. Aniel has more than 25 years of litigation experience, handling the defense of individual and complex commercial and consumer claims, primarily in the financial services sector, including nationwide class and representative actions.
Consumer and Commercial Litigation Expertise
|Consumer Banking Products||Financial Services Law||Consumer Debt Collection|
|E- Discovery Programs||Statutory Compliance||Anti-trust Compliance|
|Consumer Disclosures||Operational Advice||Banking Practices|
|Mortgages/ HELOCs||Environmental||Contract Disputes|
|Credit Bureau Reporting||ADR||Risk Assessments|
Expense Control and Reduction Experience
|Budget Forecasting||Bid/ RFP Processes||Vendor Management|
|Contract Drafting||Portfolio Integration||Law Firm Metrics|
Managing Director JHA Associates ( 2009-present)
- Expert consulting service specializing in banking practices and litigation management techniques.
Assistant General Counsel Bank of America (1987-2009)
- Led external and internal North America Consumer and Small Business litigation teams, including external and internal lawyers, paralegals, line of business associates and subject matter experts.
- Provided internal litigation support and litigation risk containment strategies for the credit/debit card, mortgage, trust and retail operations teams.
- Managed significant volumes of state and federal litigation, discovery, law and motion, certification and appellate practices, both as trial counsel and as supervising attorney.
- Developed collaborative and strategic case plans, risk assessments and preventive loss trending analysis for individual cases and high volume portfolios.
- Leveraged litigation outcomes into enhanced consumer and small business processes for mortgage, credit and debit card and retail banking operations clients.
- Forecast and managed external litigation budget exceeding $11million annually.
- Designed and implemented law firm performance reviews, expedited case resolution programs and RFP processes reaching year-over-year, multi-million dollar savings. Conducted associate performance reviews.
- Provided both written and oral on-going integrated litigation, regulatory compliance and operational risk advice to senior mortgage, home equity, card and operations lines of business partners and legal department managers.
- Developed training programs for paralegals and lines of business leaders.
- Analyzed legislation and participated in corporate communication/lobbying teams, including efforts on environmental legislation for safe harbors for lenders/trustees, ATM safety, consumer disclosures, credit bureau reporting, bankruptcy, mortgage closing requirements and Interchange.
Judicial Law Clerk U.S. District Court, Central District, California (1982-1983)
Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude University of California, Los Angeles, CA
Juris Doctorate University of Southern California Law Center
Admitted to the California Bar and various United States District Courts and Courts of Appeal. North Carolina certification as court-approved mediator in process. Provided expert testimony on the reasonableness of attorney's fees and on consumer banking practices.