Mr. Rollin Dix
10154 South Seeley
Chicago IL, 60643
Mechanical design expertise for patent litigation and equipment failures. 45 years experience, good references
- Ph.D. - Purdue University, January 1963
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers,
- Listed in Who's Who in America
- 1964 - 2004 Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, Illinois Institute of Technology
- 1980 - 1996 Associate Dean for Academic Computing, Illinois Institute of Technology
- 1978 - 1979 Acting Chairman, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department
- Summer, 1970: Fulbright-Hays Lectureship, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, University of the Republic, Montevideo, Uruguay
- 1962 - 1964 Senior Engineer, Bendix Mishawaka Division.
- National Conference on Power Transmission (Technical Coordinator, then Chairman, Board of Governors, 1975-1983)
- National Conference on Fluid Power (Chairman of the Board, 1981-1983)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Reviewer for AMR 1971-1979)
- "Forage Blower Development at International Harvester," Case Library, Design Division, Stanford University, 1968 (with I. Ekong).
- "Thermal Contact Resistance of Thick Oxide Layers of Steel," Journal of the Iron and Steel Institute , April 1969 (with E. U. Khan and S. Kalpakjian).
- "A Rapid Response Impact Probe in Two-Phase Flow," AICHE Journal , May, 1969 (with E. B. Dzakowicz)
- "The Isotherm Migration Method in Transient Heat Conduction Analysis," Proceedings of the Fourth International Heat Transfer Conference , Paris, France, 1970 (with J. Cizek).
- "Simulation of the Dynamics of Machinery," Journal of Engineering for Industry , Trans ASME, Series B, Vol. 94, No. 2, May 1972 (with T. J. Lehman).
- "Thermal Stimulation of the Vestibular System," Advances in Bioengineering , American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, 1974, (with Leonard Proctor).
- "A Swinging Shock Absorber for Pneumatic System," Proceedings of the National Conference on Fluid Power , Volume 28, IIT Center, Chicago, Illinois, 1974.
- "A New Approach to Caloric Stimulation of the Vestibular Receptor," The Annals of Otology , Rhinology and Laryngology , Vol. 84, pp. 683-695, 1976 (with Leonard Proctor)
- "Stimulation of the Vestibular Receptor by Means of Step Temperature Changes during Continuous Aural Irrigation," Acta Ololaryngoly , Vol. 79, pp. 425-435, 1974 (with Leonard Proctor).
- "Balancing Using a General Mechanisms Program," Proceedings of the Fourth Applied Mechanisms Conference , Chicago, Illinois, 1975,(with D. Argawalla).
- "Stresses in Roller Chain Link Plates," Revue Roumaine des Science Techniques, Series de Mechanique Appliques , Vol. 20, No. 2, 1975 (with N. Antonescu).
- "Construction of a Practical and Inexpensive Air Stimulator for Caloric Vestibular Testing," Laryngoscope, 86: 126-131, 1976 (with L. R. Proctor and W. A. Metz).
- "A Method of Adjusting the Stimulus Intensity of the Air Caloric Test: Preliminary Report," Trans Am. Acad. of Ophthalmology and Ortolaryngology , 82: 2, 1976 (with L. Proctor and W. A. Metz).
- "Residual Stress Generation and Relaxation in Butt-Welded Pipes," Journal of Vessel T echnology. Transactions ASMS . Vol. 104, No. 1, February 1982 (with S. Nair)
- "Wheel Wear Compensation for Numerical Form Grinding," ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Miami, Florida, November 1985 (with T. Giridharan and S. Nair).
- "Hypertext for Organizing Engineering Design", CAD/CAM Robotics and Factories of the Future , Vol. 1, pp. 10-15, Springer-Verlag, 1989.
- "Project HAWK", Proceedings of the Seventh Annual University Programs in Computer-Aided Engineering, Design, and Manufacturing, UPCAEDM , pp. 106-112, 1989.
- "Editing Octree-Based Three Dimensional Objects", Proceedings of the Eighth Annual University Programs in Computer-aided Engineering, Design and anufacturing , UPCAEDM , pp. 14-18, 1990 (with R. J. Gupta).
- "Impulse-Momentum in Spacecraft Landing: Analysis and Experiment", 7 th Biennial ASME Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, June 2004, Manchester, UK (with Chung-Ook Chong).
- "Development of a Pedal Powered Wheelchair", with Rahuljit Pal, David A. Brown and Mohsen Makhous, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Medical Devices, v. 3, n 2, June 2009.
- U.S. Patent 3,811,147, "Mobile Roadway Repair Unit", issued May 21, 1974
- U.S. Patent 4,106,496, "Method and Apparatus for Air-Caloric Testing of the Vestibular System", issued 1983, with L. Proctor
OTHER PAPERS AND REPORTS:
- "Inertial Switches," Machine Design , Vol. 34, No. 23, September 29, 1963.
- "Student Designers Tackle Problems from Industry," Diesel and Gas Turbine Progress, October, 1967.
- "Rocket Nozzle Design," and "Solar Energy Desalinization Unit Design," Problems in Computers in Engineering Design Education , the University of Michigan, 1966.
- "United Technology Center - Experience with the FW-45 Rocket Nozzle," - 1 case study written during the 1966 Stanford Case Study Seminar - classified "confidential" by Air Force and never released (with W. Eubank and B. Short
- "MORV - New Expressway Repair Concept," Rural and Urban Roads , February 1971.
- "A Study of MEDUSA as a Weapon Dynamics Computer Simulation Language," submitted to the U.S. Army Weapons Command, Rock Island Arsenal, January 1973 (with T. Moran and P. Strauss).
- "Window Shades and Energy Conservation," a report to the Window Shade Manufacturing Association, February 1975
- "Estimating the Stimulus Produced by a Temperature Difference Across the Semicircular Canal of the Labyrinth," 30th Annual Conference on Engineering in Medicine and Biology, November 1977.
- "Evaluation of Acceptability of Proposed Penetration Assembly Designs for Service Level D Stresses, Inspectability and Weld Residual Stresses,
- "Final Report for FY 1978 on ANL Contract No. 31-109-38-4261 for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, December, 1978 (with Rafael T. Haftka and Sudhakar Nair).
- "Dynamic Analysis of Rigid Link Mechanisms," The Shock and Vibration Digest, Vol. 10, No. 1, January 1978.
- "Synthesis of Plane Linkages for a Spatially Variable Temperature Environment," Fifth World Conference on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Montreal, Canada, July 1979.
- "Computer Graphics in Engineering Education" SAE Paper 830503, SAE Congress, March 1983.
- "Electronic Spreadsheets in Manufacturing Engineering," Production Engineering , Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 78-81 (April, 1985)..
- "Job Estimating", SME Seminar on Successful Job Shop Management, 1981.
- "Lotus 123 Short Course," IITRI, June 1990.
- "Strategic Alliances in Business", University for Petroleum, Ploiesti, Romania, 2001
- "Computer Aided Engineering", Academy of Mining and Metallurgy, Krakow, Poland, 5 times, 2000-2008
COURSES TAUGHT AT ILLINOIS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY:
- Computer Aided Engineering,
- Mechanical Engineering Design,
- Precision Mechanical Design,
- Statics and Dynamics,
- Heat Transfer,
- Thesis direction for over 100 MS or MME (professional degree) students and 2 PhD students.
EXPERT WITNESS EXPERIENCE:
(Mechanical Design, p=plaintiff, d= defendant)
- Kamen v City of Chicago (on-going) - Circuit Court of Cook County No. 06-L-4179 - Kamen sues Chicago for causing injury through defective maintenance of Madison Avenue bridge - deposition scheduled - SJ Levy - SJ Levy and Associates (p)
- SRAM v Formula (settled, March 2010) - Northern District of Illinois No. 07-CV-1565 and 06-CV-1025 - Sram alleges patent infringement in hydraulic bicycle hand brake design - John Ruskusky - Ungaretti & Harris (d)
- GSI v Tyco Electronics (settled March 2010) - Northern District of Illinois No. 08-CV-901 - GSI accuses Tyco of supplying defective RFID chip assembly line - report, deposition - Ken Goodsmith - Goodsmith, Gregg & Unruh (p)
- Automotive Technologies, Inc. v BMW et al - ATI alleged patent infringement by BMW et al - report and deposition - Jeff Pine, Baniak & Pine (p)
- Hennenfent v AALCO Manufacturing - Claim No. AIL 9352 - Hennenfent accuses AALCO of causing injury through defective equipment - David Mueller - Cassidy & Mueller, Peoria, IL (d)
- Lancaster v Chattanooga Group et al - Champaign County No. 20-L-205 - Lancaster accuses Chattanooga of causing injury through defective equipment - David Mueller - Cassidy & Mueller, Peoria, IL (d)
- Clipco, LTD v Ignite Design, LLC - patent infringement analysis - Keith Rockey, Wallenstein, Wagner & Rockey
- Seath v Bromenn Healthcare et al - Eleventh Illinois Judicial Circuit No. 03-L-194 - Seath accuses Bromenn of supplying defective equipment - experiment, report - David Mueller, Cassidy & Mueller - Peoria, IL (d)
- Armament Systems and Procedures v IQ Hong Kong et al - Eastern District of Wisconsin NO. 00-C-1257 - ASP accuses IQ et al of patent infringement - report and deposition - Steve Feldman - Welsh & Katz (p)
- Lifetime Products, Inc. v GSC Technologies, Inc. - Puerto Rico District Court No. 3:2004cv01080 - report and deposition rebutting plaintiff's claim of patent infringement - Edward Manzo, Cook Alex, Ltd. (d)
- Black & Decker v Coleman - Eastern District of Virginia No. 96-216-A and 96-656-A, 1996 report and deposition supporting Black & Decker's claim of infringement of multiple patents by Coleman, jury awarded B&D $3.7M - John Jenka - Niro & Scavone. (p)
- Stoller v Ford et al, US Patent No. 3,507, 538 - affidavit in support of motion for summary judgment concerning adjustable automobile headrests - John Crossan - Brinks, Hofer et al (d)
- Marley v FE Petro - Southern District of Iowa 3-97-CV-70025 - design of gasoline station pump system - case settled by merger of the litigants before depositions - Eric Cohen & Marty LeFevour (p)
- Dreisilker Electric Motors v Multifilm Packaging, DuPage County No. AR 00600 - Defendant did not pay for equipment, report and appearance before arbitration panel, case decided against Multifilm - Donna J. Cunningham (d)
- Nagle Industries v Ford Motor Company, Michigan Civil Action No. 95-75840 - Nagle alleged infringement of US Patent 4,406,186 - report - Mike Dinnin - Dinnin & Dunn, Detroit (p)
- Rockwell v DEV, 1992 report, deposition and court testimony regarding theft of trade secrets by DEV, DEV found guilty and fined $3.2M - Steven Carponelli - Carponelli & Krug (d)
- ASP v Triple K -2003 report on claim of infringement of US Patent No. 5,161,800 - Wanda Jones - Cappas and Jones (d)
- Walter Solomon v Overtons, Inc and Cabela - Eastern District of Texas Civil Action No. 2:02-CV-60-TJW - 2003 report rebutting Solomon's claim of infringement of US Patent No. 6,339,894, Thomas Ross - Marshall, Gerstein & Borun (d)
- Scharama v. Robenbostel, 1987 report rebutting plaintiff's claim that neck injury was caused by design of swimming pool - James Nolan, Clausen Miller et al (d)
- Republic Industries v Schlage Lock Company - 1979 report and court testimony rebutting Republic's claim of infringement of US Patent No. 3,852,845, defendant prevailed - Henry Brinks, - Brinks Hofer et al (d)
- Affiliated Hospital Supply v Brian Baldwin - US District Court for Northern Illinois - report, deposition and court testimony for AHS on alleged theft of trade secrets by Baldwin, AFS won injunction and prevented shipment of equipment based on the trade secrets to Mexico - Ron Wilder, Hardin, Schiff & Waite (p)
- Clamp Manufacturing v ENCO Manufacturing US District Court, Central District of California Case No. 82-4352-CBM - analysis of stresses in clamp - Kirkland & Ellis (d)
- Popeil v Sunbeam, 1967 - Popeil accuses Sunbeam of infringing patent on steam hair curler - report, deposition and court testimony - Dugald MacDougal (p)
- Numerous reports evaluating education and/or experience of immigration candidates for Fragomen, Del Rey and Bernsen and Kempster and Lenz-Calvo
- Rydberg v Sears, Circuit Court of Cook County No. 80 L 4120 - report describing cause of accident - JL Sinson - Barclay, Damich & Sinson (d)
- Numerous studies of Jeep rollover dynamics with reports and depositions for accident victims - cases settled - SJ Levy in Chicago, Michael Connelly in Detroit and others (p)
- Numerous studies, reports, depositions and some trial testimony relating to varied accident cases with David Mueller, Cassidy & Mueller, Peoria, IL (d)
INDUSTRIAL CONSULTING EXPERIENCE:
- President, Patpending Marketing, Inc. - 1998 - present
- Bronson and Bratton, Inc., Chicago, IL. - 1985- 1995
- Bimet Corporation, Morris, IL. - Member of the Board of Directors, 1982 - 1999.
- Mechanical design consulting with approximately 20 more firms since 1965.
- USI Capital Corporation, President 1997-9.
- Morgan Park High School Community Council (Treasurer, 1982-4; Chairman, 1985 - 8)
- Bethany Union Church, Chicago (Board of Trustees Chairman, 1989-1991
- Habitat for Humanity, Pilsen, Donations Chair (1996 - 1998), Vice President (1998 - 2000), President (2001 - 2006)
- International Visitors Center of Chicago (2000-2010), Corporate Marketing Committee,
- International Press Club of Chicago (2001-2010), Secretary
- Estero Beach and Tennis Club (2007-2010), Secretary, Board of Directors