Richard J Hallowell
P.O. Box 377
2522 Candytuft Drive
Jamison PA, 18929-1760
This expert has over 45 years of experience in the mechanical engineering field. His experience includes the design of mechanical systems for the building industry as well as forensic engineering analysis of mechanical systems and components.
Richard J. Hallowell, Jr., has over 45 years of experience in the design of mechanical systems for the building industry which includes 25 years of experience conducting forensic engineering analysis of problematic mechanical systems and components.
Mr. Hallowell's education, training and experience includes the following systems and components:
- Air Conditioning
- Fire Protection Sprinklers
Mr. Hallowell is qualified as an "Expert" in the mechanical engineering field and is experienced in investigative work involving report writing, depositions and litigation support. The following is a partial listing of the categories in which Mr. Hallowell is highly qualified and experienced.
- Property loss or damage related to the failure of mechanical systems and equipment.
- Personal injury caused by mechanical systems and equipment.
- Design analysis of mechanical systems and components.
- Product analysis of mechanical equipment.
- Code and Standards compliance for mechanical systems and components.
- Start up and testing of mechanical equipment and components.
- Construction contracts and bid documents.
Mr. Hallowell has over 45 years of experience in the design and application of a wide variety of mechanical systems for both new construction and renovation work including laboratories, health care facilities, office buildings, industrial facilities, shopping centers, garages, schools, churches and residential facilities. During this period, he has developed a sophisticated understanding of the field which has enabled him to apply his knowledge to the application of a wide range of engineering concepts.
Mr. Hallowell has been a pioneer in energy conservation measures for mechanical systems employed in both new construction and in existing facilities. He has developed a proficiency in performing energy studies and audits and is currently registered in several states as a certified energy manager. He is a proponent on the application of energy reclaim and extraction and has been active in exploring this technology for commercial applications.
Mr. Hallowell is also proficient in the design of specialized mechanical systems which include heat recovery, heat pumps, variable air volume distribution, humidification, steam generation and distribution, incineration, process refrigeration, coal fired boilers, dust collection, fume exhaust, smoke control and water utility distribution systems ..
Mr. Hallowell is a registered professional engineer, a registered land planner, a registered fallout shelter analyst, a certified energy manager, a certified energy technical analyst and a certified forensic consultant.
B.S.M.E. 1968, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- State of Delaware - Professional Engineer, 2005 -15494
- State of Pennsylvania - Professional Engineer, 1968 - PE014315E
- State of New Jersey - Professional Engineer, 1972 - 24GE01928700
- Professional Land Planner - 1979
- State of New York - Professional Engineer, 1998 - 5757115
- State of Ohio - Professional Engineer, 1978 - E043874
- State of Connecticut, 2011- PEN.0028291
- District of Columbia, 2011- PE906194
- Department of Defense - Fallout Shelter Analyst, 1970
- American College of Forensic Examiners - Certified Forensic Consultant, 2005
- Association of Energy Engineers - Certified Energy Manager, 1982
- OSHA Certified for Confined Space Safety, 2010
- Gastite Piping Systems Qualified Installer, 2011
Mr. Hallowell has held membership in the following societies and associations which were instrumental in developing the skills and knowledge he possesses relating to the construction industry including contracts, management, design, construction, commissioning, maintenance and forensic analysis.
Current memberships are shown in bold text.
- AAA - American Arbitration Association
- ABSA - American Biological Safety Association
- ACFE - American College of Forensic Examiners
- AEE - Association of Energy Engineers
- AIPE - American Institute of Plant Engineers
- ASHE - American Society of Hospital Engineers
- ASH RAE - American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air Conditioning Engineers
- ASPE - American Society of Plumbing Engineers
- ASSE - American Society of Safety Engineers
- AWWA - American Water Works Association
- BOCA - Building Officials & Code Administrators
- ISPE -International SOCiety of Pharmaceutical Engineers
- NFPA - National Fire Protection Association
- NFSA - National Fire Sprinkler Association
- NSPE - National Society of Professional Engineers
- SCA - Smoke Control Association
- SFPE - Society of Fire Protection Engineers
TRAINING and CONTINUED EDUCATION COURSES
- Association of Energy Engineers - Plant & Building Energy Conservation Seminar, 1983
- Certification Course on Energy Management, 1982
- ASHRAE - Fire Protection & Safety in Buildings, 11/19/81
- Engineers Club of Philadelphia - Fire Protection Engineering, 11/17/77
- SFPEj ASH RAE - Smoke Control Seminar, 4/27/83
- Department of Defense - Fallout Shelter Analysis, 5/18/70
- FDA-ISPE Joint Conference, 3/12/84
- TPC Training Systems
- Refrigerants & Refrigerant Oils, 3/19/93
- Air Conditioning & Refrigerant Compressors, 3/26/93
- Trouble Shooting Refrigeration Systems, 4/2/93
- How Power Plants Work, 2/4/94
- Generating Steam in the Power Plant, 2/7/94
- Using Steam in the Power Plant, 2/8/94
- The Trane Company
- TRACE Direct Training, 7/24/80
- Gas Furnace Service, 9/30/98
- Beckett Corporation -Installation, Adjustment Servicing and Combustion Efficiency Measurements of
- Oil Burners, 9/30/98
- Viking Company - Fire Protection Seminar, 6/7/99
- National Propane Gas Association - Installation of Propane Gas Systems, 1/3/00
- National Fire Sprinkler Association -Inspection, Testing & Maintenance of Water-based Fire
- Protection Systems, 5/9/00
- Hydraulics for Fire Sprinkler Systems 5/30/08
- Petroleum Marketer's Association of America - Oil Heat Technician Training, 1/16/01
- Fire Findings - Investigation of Gas & Electric Appliance Fires, 4/16/02, 4/17/02
- Investigation of Solid Fuel Burning Appliance Fires, 10/28/09, 10/29/09
- Siemens Building Technologies - Life Safety Training Course, 5/07/04
- American College of Forensic Engineers - Forensic Expert's Guide to Litigation Conference, January 2005
- National Oil Heat Research Alliance - Residential Hands-On Burner Program, 8/23/05 Commercial
- Burner Program, 8/25/05
- Lorman Education Services - Building Codes in Pennsylvania, 5/19/06
- Chubb Services Corporation
- Combustion Systems Safety Workshop 9/20/07
- Dry, Deluge & Pre-action Sprinkler Systems, 9/25/07
- Maintaining Water Based Fire Protection Systems, 9/27/07 & 9/28/07
- Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA)
- Certificate of Completion - Confined Space Safety 5/10/10
- Gastite Division Certification Training Program - Design and Installation of Corrugated Stainless
- Steel Tubing (CSST) Piping Systems - 2/10/11
Mr. Hallowell is knowledgeable of the standards, guidelines and recommendations issued by the following organizations. Mr. Hallowell's library contains many of the standards produced by these organizations and he maintains communications with these organizations to insure that his reference library contains a current listing of new and updated standards, guidelines and recommendations issued. Mr. Hallowell regularly utilizes these standards, gUidelines and recommendations in his deSign, analysis and inspection of mechanical systems and components.
- Speaker - Philadelphia ASHRAE Chapter 1984
- Certificate of Appreciation - Science Fair Judge - Engineers Club of Trenton, 1987 & 1992
- ASH RAE - Certificate of Meritorious Service, 4/23/82
9/91 to Present
NRG Consultants PO Box 377 Jamison PA 18929
Responsible for managing a consulting engineering practice involving forensic engineering investigation work and the design of heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC), refrigeration and fire protection systems for buildings in the high-tech industrial, institutional and commercial fields. Total responsibility for all business development, finances, design and project management activities including: proposals, presentations, budgets, fee and contract negotiations, manpower allocation, project scheduling and profit projections.
9/91 to Present
Director of Mechanical Engineering
Dawson Engineering Inc. 804 Harrison Avenue Langhorne PA 19047
Responsible for the following services:
- Conceptual design of mechanical systems and selection of equipment for institutional, commercial, industrial, educational and residential type facilities. Mechanical systems encompass heating, refrigeration, ventilation, air conditioning, plumbing, fire protection and waste water disposal.
- Preparation of construction documents (drawings and specifications).
- Economic studies and evaluations.
- Site investigations and surveys.
- Cost estimating.
- Construction administration.
1984 to 1991
Principal and Director of Engineering
Edward A. Sears Associates New York, New York
New York City office responsibilities included supervising project engineers/managers and designer/draftsmen in completing mechanical systems design for commercial and institutional projects.
New Jersey branch office responsibilities included for business development and project management for 18 person office. Major projects included: hospital suites, medical and industrial research labs, university buildings, hotels and commercial/corporate office buildings.
Management responsibilities included business development, presentations to architects and owners, fee/contract establishment and negotiations, budget and manpower scheduling, cost estimating, system selection, equipment specifications, conceptual design, technical quality control, supervision of detailed design to resolve unique technical problems and status reviews.
- New gymnasium and recreational pool, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey campus. Estimated Construction Cost $ 4,500,000. Building area square feet 31,000
- Addition of 1500 ton absorption chiller, New York Hospital.
- Replacement of major mechanical and electrical components, Peter Rodino Federal Building, Newark, New Jersey. Estimated Construction Cost $ 3,800,000.
- Tenant fit out for corporate office facilities, Johnson & Johnson, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Technical assistance reports & energy conservation studies for 25 buildings - Drew University, Madison New Jersey.
- 177 room addition to the Marriott Hotel, Newark Airport, Newark, New Jersey.
- Refrigerated warehouse & distribution center, Elizabeth, New Jersey. Estimated Construction Cost $ 6,500,000.
NRG Consultants 110 Trenton Road Fairless Hills, PA 19030
- Energy Studies,
- Analysis, Reports,
- Fire Investigations,
- Fire Protection Design.
NOTE: In June 1984 the office of NRG Consultants merged with Edward A. Sears Associates and relocated to Trenton, New Jersey. Mr. Hallowell was responsible for managing entire office.
1979 to 1984
Director of HVAC Engineering
CUH2A Architects & Engineers Princeton, New Jersey
Responsible for client contact, sales presentations to clients, management of HVAC staff of 32 people, project scheduling, cost control, conceptual and detailed design for Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories, Hospitals and Office Buildings, plus Energy Management Analysis.
Pfizer, Inc., Pfizer Central Research Laboratory, Groton, CT
- 220,000 sq. ft. Drug discovery facility including biology and chemistry laboratories,
- 16,000 sq. ft. animal facility, administrative offices, library, auditorium, and central food service area.
E. R. Squibb & Sons, Inc., New Brunswick, NJ
- 55,000 sq. ft. Quality Control Laboratory including microbiological and environmental control laboratories and extensive sterility testing areas.
American Home Products Corporation, Ayerst Laboratories Research Center, South Brunswick, NJ
- 285,000 sq. ft. Pharmaceutical research facility including medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology and pharmacology laboratories,
- 20,000 sq. ft., animal facility, administrative offices, library, auditorium and central food service area.
Exxon Biomedical Sciences, Inc., Toxicology Lab & Animal Handling Facility, East Milestone, NJ
- Alterations to 55,000 sq. ft. environmental health science laboratory. Master plan for additions to environmental health science laboratory, new aquatic toxicology laboratory.
- 60 million dollar Research Laboratory & Administrative Office, East Hanover, NJ
St. Peter's Hospital
Middlesex County Medical Center
RCA Administrative Office Building, Morrestown, NJ
Ocean and Atlantic County Community Colleges
1975 to 1979
Creative Design Associates, Inc., Warminster, PA
- Business Development,
- Cost Control,
- Design of HVAC Plumbing,
- Fire Protection
- Solar Heating Systems.
- Shopping Centers,
- Nursing Homes,
- Apartment Complexes
- Heritage Towers Total Care Facility, Doylestown, PA, 238
- Apartment Units plus 60 Bed Nursing Home
- Master Planning for new Naval Academy, Saudi Arabia - Central Chiller Water Plant, Approximately 9,000 tons.
1965 to 1975
A. J. Creati & Associates, Inc. Elkins Park, PA
- Fire Protection,
- Process Piping Design,
- Specification Writing,
- Cost Estimating,
- Storm Water Management,
- Life Cycle Cost Analysis,
- Construction Administration, and Contracts.
- Supervised a staff of six people in HVAC and Plumbing Design.
Started employment as a Designer.
- Shopping Centers,
- Industrial Buildings,
- Office Buildings
- Columbia Mall, Columbia, MD - Largest enclosed mall on the East coast with a central chilled water & heating plant.
1959 to 1965
Charles Barrows, Consulting Engineer, Levittown, PA
- Plumbing & Electrical Design for Residential and Commercial Buildings.
- Cheltenham Shopping Center, Cheltenham, PA
NRG Consultants Inc.
3321 Sunset Key Circle Unit 502 Punta Gorda FL 33955-1969