Mr. David Harlowe
The Sport Management Group, Inc.
1205 W Bessemer Ave
Greensboro NC, 27408
Risk Management Expert in the Fitness Industry that graduated from Guilford College (Greensboro, NC) with a degree in Sport Management. David has vast experience within the Athletic and Fitness Industries. David was an intercollegiate athlete, coached on the college level, and was a Strength & Conditioning coach for a minor league hockey team. David has worked in the front office of a minor league baseball team and has been a fitness facility owner. From his vast experience David has now become one the industry’s leading experts in Risk Management and the many fields that make up Sport Management. He has performed over 2,500 risk reviews on fitness and athletic facilities nationwide.
We know that many times safety issues don’t receive the attention they require. As you know, the everyday tasks involving member recruiting, member retention, and facility upkeep are never-ending responsibilities. This is why it is easy for safety issues to be pushed to the back of the line. At SMG we feel that our services can be an invaluable asset. We will visit your facility and perform an on-site audit to discover any potential or existing risks that may have been undiscovered or overlooked.
When we perform an audit on your facility we have three things in mind. First, are there preventable or correctable risks. Second, could those risks lead to injuries. And third, could those injuries lead to a lawsuit. We have performed over 2,500 safety audits around the country. We are the leading authority in facility risk management. We have seen great facilities and not-so-great facilities. One thing stands true. All facilities have risks. Whether your facility is a small personal training shop or a large multi-sport facility, we can help.
- Founder and President of The Sport Management Group, Inc. (SMG), a national risk management company specializing in the athletic and fitness industries.
- Founder and President of National AED Sales LLC. A company that specializes in selling Automated External Defibrillators to the fitness, athletic, medical and retail industries.
- Has personally performed over 1,800 safety audits on athletic and fitness facilities for his company, the Sport Management Group.
- SMG has performed over 9,000 risk assessments nationwide.
- Wrote “Fitness Center Safety” chapter in Risk Management in Sport, Second Edition, edited by Herb Appenzeller.
- Has written a bi-monthly risk management column for Fitness Management Magazine.
- Manages over 1,000 independent field inspectors around the country.
- Authored various safety manuals and training programs designed for athletic directors, health club owners and managers.
- Created and currently maintains a website, www.clubsafety.com, a 24-hour resource for facility owners and staff members.
- Conducts risk management lectures at local universities and colleges.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) guidelines.
- Athletic Arenas and Stadium Safety
- Athletic Coaching and Teaching
- Automated External Defibrillator Placement and Use
- Bleacher Safety
- Club Sport and Intramural Safety
- Crowd Management
- Emergency Action Planning
- Exercise Equipment Maintenance and Repair
- Health Club and Spa Safety
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) guidelines
- Outdoor Recreation Facilities (i.e. summer camps, sports camps)
- Personal Training Practices and Procedures
- Recreational Activities and Programs
- Schools, Colleges, Universities
- Spectator Injuries
- Sports Court Safety
- Weight Room Safety
- The Sport Management Group, Inc., Greensboro, NC
- Owner/President 1995 – Present
- Has personally performed over 1,800 safety audits on athletic and fitness facilities.
- National AED Sales LLC, Greensboro, NC o Owner/President 2008 - Present
- East Coast Fitness Center, Winston-Salem, NC o Owner/Personal Trainer 1994-1995
- Greensboro Monarchs Hockey Club, Greensboro, NC o Strength and Conditioning Coach 1994-1995
- Designed and implemented workouts for the hockey team players.
- Body Construction Personal Training, Greensboro, NC o Personal Trainer, 1993-1994
- Sportime Health & Fitness Club, Greensboro, NC o Personal Trainer, 1992-1993
- Guilford College Football Team, Greensboro, NC o Assistant Football Coach 1991-1993.
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- Coached Defensive Line and Wide Receivers.
- B.S. Sport Management, Guilford College, Greensboro, NC
- Emergency Planning. The Emergency Management Institute (FEMA).
- Emergency Action Plan Exercise Design. The Emergency Management Institute (FEMA).
- Understanding & Planning for School Bomb Incidents. New Mexico Tech Energetic Materials Research and Testing Center.
RISK MANAGEMENT SERVICE:
He has developed an intense protocol for analyzing facilities.
When we perform a safety audit, we address the standards and guidelines set by the following national organizations and laws:
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Red Cross (ARC)
- Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA)
The following areas are addressed when we perform a safety audit:
- Management Policies and Procedures
- Staff Certifications
- Exercise Area Safety
- Locker Room Safety
- Sports Courts & Spectator Area Safety
- Swimming Pool Safety
Below are just some of the areas that are thoroughly reviewed during a safety audit:
- Emergency Response Planning
- Equipment Positioning and Conditions
- Locker Rooms
- Maintenance Programs
- Personnel Qualifications and Certifications
- Spectator Areas
- And much more . . .
If you are a high school athletic director, a middle school administrator, or an event manager for a major stadium you must understand that no venue is safe from litigation. Lawsuits are appearing from the Little League level all the way up to the professional ranks. Lawsuits involve participant safety, spectator safety, and more. The key to minimizing risks involved with staging an event is experience and planning. SMG brings both elements to the table when developing a successful risk management plan for your facility.
In any facility, identifying existing risks and preventing future risks are the keys to a safe facility. So if you are simply trying to keep a high school baseball game safe, or you are trying to organize a major rock concert, we can help you prepare. We will help you prepare for all types of events.
We cover the following areas:
- ADA Standards
- Bleacher Safety
- Crowd Control
- Emergency Preparation
- Event Management
- Spectator Safety