Building Forensics International
1040 East Howell Avenue
Anaheim CA, 92805
Geoffrey Hichborn properly investigates and authoritatively answers questions about the design, installation and performance of concrete and related materials of construction.
Geoffrey Hichborn properly investigates and authoritatively answers questions about the design, installation and performance of concrete and related materials of construction. Assessment of distress or damage and its causation, whether related to earthquake, fire, flood, adverse environmental exposure, soil conditions, service, lack of maintenance or some special use, is a frequently provided service.
- General Civil Design with specialties featuring:
- Forensic Investigations of Concrete Work and Concrete Products
- Concrete, Cement and Related Materials Expertise
- Construction Practices & Materials Evaluation
- Repair Recommendations, Construction Observation
- Public Works / Residential / Commercial / Industrial
- Specially Designed Tests of Distressed Materials
In nearly nineteen years of construction materials testing and problem solving, hehas performed a wide variety of laboratory and field evaluations of structural, architectural and coating materials, specializing in those containing hydraulic cements. His investigations have included laboratory tests of chemical, physical and optical (microscopic) properties of concrete and its separate ingredients to address their effect on fresh and hardened concrete properties, with particular interest in sulfate reactions. Additionally, he has devised and directed specialized tests and evaluations for research and development of new products and for solving complex field problems. Concrete analysis includes residential and public works, and pre-cast, pre-stressed, cast-in-place and post-tensioned structural work. Field investigations encompass exterior portland cement (wall) plaster and swimming pool plaster, concrete pipe, gunite, concrete masonry units (ecmufs or 'block',) mortar and grout. Other investigations involve concrete flatwork, plain and architectural concrete, debonding of coatings, concrete pumping problems and recommendations for appropriate repair procedures. He is experienced in structural inspection and testing for commercial and industrial construction and for quality assurance of civil works, both public and private.
B.S. Civil Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 1979. Various ongoing specialized training in engineering and materials with emphasis on portland cement, portland cement concrete, concrete-making materials, cement-containing products, repair and coating products and testing and inspection of structural materials used in construction.
Affiliations & Registrations:
- American Concrete Institute (ACI, Local & National), Member - Responsibilities in Concrete Construction Sub-Committee, Geotechnical Grouting Sub-Committee
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) LA Section, Orange County Group, Member - Forensic Engineering Technical Group
- International Concrete Repair Institute (ICRI, National and Charter Local Member, Geotechnical Grouting Sub-Committee)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM, including: Committees C-1 Cement, and C-9, Concrete, Various Sub-Committees)
- Structural Engineers Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) Member, Concrete Sub-Committee Since 1988
- Pre-Cast Concrete Manufacturers Association of California (PCMAC) Professional Member
- Pre-Cast Concrete Institute (PCI) Professional Member
- Post-Tensioning Institute (PTI) Professional Member
- Registered Civil Engineer (CA C-45208 expires 9/30/2012)
Registered Disaster Worker - Residential Construction Fee schedule for Geoffrey Hichborn
Expert Designation Fee------------------------$1000.00 ( Amount charged to use expert's name applied to case)
Retainer Policy-------------------------------$2000.00 ( Applied toward last invoice)
Non-Testimonial-------------------------------$375.00/ per hour (for consulting and analysis)
Testimonial-----------------------------------$550.00/ per hour (Deposition and court testimony While awaiting to give testimony)
Travel Policy---------------------------------$375.00/ per hour --portal to portal $.80/ per mi. --personal auto