Mr. Russell M. Keeler
1153 Bergen Parkway
Evergreen CO, 80439
B.S. Environmental Engineering, California Polytechnic State University, 1972
Registered professional engineer in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, LEED 2.2 Accredited Professional, NCEES.
Mr. Keeler combines technical competence, highly developed communications skills and over 35 years experience in HVAC project design including 20 years leading a mechanical/electrical consulting engineering firm and also as engineering principal at a large architect/engineer firm.
Highlights of Career
Mr. Keeler's range of problem solving experience and his intellectual curiosity are key to his skill as a building systems engineer. His work includes commercial, industrial and institutional projects. His specialty is the diagnosis and troubleshooting of poorly performing HVAC systems, and the development of means to correct the problems. Forensic analysis is an adjunct of this work. Especially important to forensic activities, he has the ability to explain complex technical issues in laymen's terms. He has provided support to attorneys in a wide range of matters, described in more detail below.
- HVAC design
- Troubleshooting of malfunctioning HVAC systems.
- Thermal storage
- Energy management analysis
- Plumbing systems
- Utility cost allocations for mixed use facilities
- Due diligence for remaining life of existing HVAC systems
- Heating and cooling load calculations
- Chilled water systems
- Mold and mildew
- Central plants
- Cost estimating
- Reasons for construction delays
- Piping systems
- Planned maintenance
- Engineering HVAC
- Dispute between Mechanical Contractor and Design Engineer for incorrect bid on Casino HVAC system in Design/Build project. Contractor based bid on Engineer's drawings that inadequately translated performance design documents. Provided interpretation of the intent of the specification relative to Engineer furnished design. (New Jersey)
- Evaluation of domestic water piping system using plastic pipe for sources of toxic contamination. Found cause to be formation of copper hydroxide. (New Mexico)
- Performed calculations and physical inspection of aluminum window frames to determine cause of condensation on frames. Condensation led to formation of mold and mildew. (Colorado)
- Demonstrated, through calculations, field temperature measurements and general testimony that mold and mildew in seafront hotel was not caused by improper heating and air conditioning system. (South Carolina)
- Evaluation of air conditioning system design to identify reasons for condensation on exterior of air handlers. Condensation led to ceiling and wood wainscot damage in 100 year old college dormitory. Showed design to be defective. (Pennsylvania)
- Determined cause of condensation in nursing home and developed corrective measures. Reduced humidity from 65% to 48%. (Florida)
- Evaluation of rooftop air conditioning units on regional mall roof. Showed, by test, that hail damaged condenser coils reduced performance of equipment. (North Dakota)
- Performed calculations to allocate natural gas cost for heating at mixed use condominium in Colorado resort. (Colorado)
- Demonstrated that fire alarm company was not responsible for sprinkler system freeze in building where temperature was being monitored. (Pennsylvania)
- Evaluated air conditioning system design in mall to determine whether mall operator installed modifications were necessary to eliminate cold temperatures in retail area adjacent to subway entrance. Demonstrated, by field test, that mall operator proposed modifications were both unnecessary and incapable of solving problem. (Pennsylvania)
- Testified to impact of lack of wall and roof insulation on the annual heating cost of industrial building in real estate tax assessment dispute. (Pennsylvania)
- Testified that Consulting Engineer's swimming pool heating system design was not a cause for cloudy water in a pool, a contributor to a drowning. (Pennsylvania)
- Evaluated residential heating and air conditioning system for capacity. Showed that installed system was undersized and improper design for the application. (Pennsylvania)
- Evaluated residential how water boiler for potential for generating carbon monoxide fumes in carbon monoxide poisoning. Proved through tests that the boiler was faulty. (Pennsylvania)
- Evaluation of air conditioning system filtration installation for possible cause of postoperative infections. (Pennsylvania)
- Reconstruction of causes for natural gas and fuel oil explosion at heating hot water boiler in residence. (New York)
- Evaluation of campus central HVAC automation system for energy conservation potential; dispute centered on delay and lost energy savings claims. (New Jersey)
- Evaluation of causes of high-pressure induction unit freezes at perimeter of high-rise office building. Lack of heat led to eventual rupture of sprinkler piping. (New York)
- Review of causes of fan shaft deterioration and failure. (Pennsylvania)
- Investigation of causes of gas explosion in fast food restaurant. (Pennsylvania)
- Comments on behavior of Testing and Balancing contractor employee in alleged fume matter related to testing of exhaust fan. (Pennsylvania)
- Investigation of cause of sewage overflow in residential neighborhood. (Colorado)
- Utility cost assignments for Colorado resort mixed use condominium.
- Investigation of causes of toxic water in polyethylene piping in New Mexico residence.
- Evaluation of hail caused damage to rooftop air conditioning equipment at North Dakota mall.
- Determination of causes of condensation at windows in apartment complex (Colorado).
- Centennial Building, Colorado Capital Facilities Complex
- Public Ledger Building, Philadelphia
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Energy Program, National
- New York University Medical Center
- Alameda High School, Lakewood, CO
- Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, PA
- Omni Hotel, Broomfield, Colorado
- Independence Plaza, Denver, CO
- Hill Haven Rehabilitation Center, Fort Meyers, Florida
- Southern Shores Hotel, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Denver International Airport, Denver, Colorado
- Philadelphia International Airport
- Hill Hall, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO (lab)
- Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania
- Cherry Hills Community Church, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
- Faith Bible Chapel, Arvada, Colorado
- McLean Bible Church, Vienna, Virginia
ASHRAE Region IX 1999 First Place Technology Award, Youthful Offender System, Pueblo, Colorado
Consulting Engineer's Council of Colorado 1999 Engineering Excellence Honor Award, Youthful Offender System, Pueblo, Colorado
Owens Corning Energy Conservation Award, 1980, Industrial Category
The Impact of Katrina and East Asian Prosperity on Your Building", Colorado Business Journal, January 2006.
"Church Air Conditioning Primer", NACBA LEDGER, Summer, 2005.
"Air Conditioning System of the Future," The Construction Specifier , January 2002
"Chilling in Style," Engineered Systems, May 2001
Moisture Control in Buildings , ASTM, 1994. (Author of chapter on HVAC systems)
Replace DX with Thermal Storage," Heating, Piping, Air Conditioning , August 1990
"Energy Conservation in Health Care Institutions," Philadelphia Blue Cross/FEA, July 1976.
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
Building Owners and Managers Association