Mr. Michael Nault
Mr. Michael Nault
Nault & Associates LLC
526 1st Avenue South #524
Seattle WA, 98104
Expert has 39 years experience in police investigations. His experience in serial murder, and police investigations is unique. He is internationally experienced in police consulting.
I retired in 1994 as Commander of the Major Investigations Section of the Criminal Investigations Division, for the King County Police/Sheriff’s Department, Seattle, Washington.
My experience and expertise in the Criminal Justice field includes both Corrections and Law Enforcement.
In the course of my 27½ years active duty law enforcement career, I investigated, reviewed, critiqued, and/or commanded numerous major crimes investigations, particularly homicide and sexual assault. Additionally, my expertise extends to Use of Force, Police Pursuits, and various other police training and performance categories.
My career includes various uniformed patrol positions including Deputy Sheriff/Police Officer; Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Patrol Precinct Commander (Captain/Major), and an interim assignment as Commander of the Patrol Division, and Chief of the Criminal Investigations Division.
My background is unique in that I have commanded two serial murder investigations. My rare experience in this unique genre led me to being invited by the FBI Behavioral Sciences Support Unit to be a lecturer on serial murder and serial murder task force management for the period 1989-1994/5, at the FBI academy in Quantico Virginia. . Additionally, I have been an invited guest speaker and lecturer both nationally and internationally on the topic of serial murder, homicide investigations, and various police practices.
In Corrections, I have served at the operating level as a Deputy responsible for inmate security; as a Shift Supervisor, responsible for supervision of personnel and facilities, and as Chief of the Corrections Department for King County (Seattle), Washington, an executive level position responsible for the management of the institution and all attendant professional duties and standards of care, including having to bring my institution into compliance with a Federal Court Consent Decree and a State Jails Commission Compliance order
I have a Master’s Degree in Public Administration, as well as Bachelor Degrees in Police Science and Administration, and Sociology/Speech (Double Major). I have taught upper division courses at Seattle University in various law enforcement topics.
Until recently, I was a consultant/technical advisor to the United States Department of Justice International Criminal Investigations Training Assistance Program assigned to the Indonesian Program. Formerly I worked in the U.S. DOJ ICITAP Uzbekistan Program. Additionally, I was a contract instructor/lecturer in law enforcement matters to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, United States Department of Homeland Security, and to the U.S. DOJ, Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
I am a multi-faceted professional consultant offering a diverse and progressive background in Public Safety, Training, and Security, and Investigations. The basis of my professional competency is my 28+ year Law Enforcement career, my subsequent consultants work experience, my education, and lecturer and educators background.
I am highly skilled in investigations, strategic planning, public speaking, and a noted management and training consultant.
I do consultancy work both nationally in the United States, and internationally. At the current time, and for the past 5 years, I have been a trainer and consultant to the Indonesian National Police, under the auspices of the United States Department of Justice ICITAP Program (International Criminal Investigation Training Assistance Program).
including, but not limited to:
Major Crimes Investigations: Homicide, Sexual Assault, Drugs:
- Theory/Practice: Malicious Prosecution, Liability
Policy and Procedures relating to Law Enforcement:
- Investigations, Use of Force, Pursuit, etc.
Police Management Issues:
- Strategic Planning, Policy and Procedures, Training and
- Former Interim Chief of the King County Jail System (Seattle, WA.)
I do primarily Expert Witness consultancy within my fields of expertise, as well as having developed, and have conducted seminars nationally and internationally, under the auspices of the United States Department of Justice, and the United States Department of State.
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration: University of Puget Sound, 1974
- Bachelor Degree in Sociology/Speech: University of Washington (1968)
- Bachelor Degree: Police Science and Administration: Seattle University (1976)
Litigation Consultant: Police Policy, Procedures, and Investigations and Corrections:
Client Firms / References:
- Gibson/Dunn PLC (Los Angeles, CA.)
- Browne &Woods (Beverley Hills, CA.)
- Doll & Amir (Century City, CA.)
- Jones, Skelton, Hochuli (Phoenix, AZ.)
- The Spence Law Firm (Jackson, WY.)
- Technical Advisory Services for Attorneys
- Lorman Education Services (CLE Training)
- Mary E. Schultz & Associates (Spokane, WA.)
- Doherty & Venezia, P.C. (Phoenix, AZ.)
- City of Tacoma, City Attorney’s Office (Tacoma, WA.)
- The Sweetser Law Firm (Spokane, WA.)
- Patterson Buchanan Law Firm (Seattle, WA.)
- Doerfler Law Firm (La Crosse, Wisconsin)
- Harris Berne Christensen (Lake Oswego, OR)
- Jacobs & Dow Law (Hartford, CT.)
- Paukert & Troppman (Spokane, WA.)
- Maxey Law (Spokane, WA.)
- Connelly Law, (Tacoma, WA)
- Devinney Law, (Ponca City, OK)
- Fiorito Law,(Seattle, WA.)
- Barr & Hutton Law, (Redding, CA.)
Investigations / Instruction:
Retired Commander of Major Investigations, King County Sheriff, Seattle, WA.
Interim Chief of Detectives, King County Sheriff, Seattle, WA.
Consultant in Serial Murder and Criminal Psychopaths:
- Former Instructor, FBI National Academy:
- “Serial Murder Task Force Management”
Consultant/Instructor to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Federal Law
Enforcement Training Center:
“Drug Task Force Management”
Police Management and Administration:
Consultant to the U.S. Department of Justice, International Criminal Investigations Training Assistance Program (ICITAP):
- Develop and Present Police Executive Management Seminars for Indonesian National Police (2004-2005)
- Project leader and Senior Technical Advisor for Strategic Planning and Organizational Transformation, Indonesian National Police (1999-2003)
Instructor in Police Management Issues: Uzbekistan National Police, 1998
Former Instructor: Seattle University: Upper Division Classes:
- Police Intelligence Systems
- Law Enforcement Management: Public Sector Decision Theory
- Law Enforcement Management Seminar
- Former Interim Chief of the King County Jail System, Seattle, Washington (1980)
- Former Jail Officer and Sergeant; King County Jail (1967/ 1975)
1966 – 1994 King County Police/Sheriff’s Department, Seattle, Washington:
I served in various ranks and assignments, including King County Jail. Specifics available on request
I retired as Commander of Major Investigations in the Criminal Investigations Division., and periodically served as Chief of Detectives.
Served as Patrol Precinct Commander, Special Operations Division Commander (SWAT, Traffic Division, Hostage Negotiations), and Patrol Division Commander (All Precincts and Substations)
Interim Chief of the Department of Adult Corrections (King County Jail System) (1980)
Consultant / Lecturer:
(Current = C Former = F)
C - Manager, Nault & Associates LLC: Police Policy and Investigations Consultant (2005-Present)
F - U.S. Department of Justice: International Criminal Investigations Training Assistance Program (ICITAP)
- Indonesian National Police, U.S. Embassy, Jakarta, Indonesia: (1999- 2005)
- Uzbekistan National Police, U. S. Consulate, Tashkent, Uzbekistan (1998)
F - U. S. Department of Homeland Security: Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (1998-2003)
- Consultant/ Instructor: Drug Task Force Management
F - Eddie Bauer Company, Manager, Fraud Prevention and Investigations (1993-94)
F - U.S. Department of Justice: FBI National Academy:
- Instructor: Task Force Management and Serial Homicide Investigation (1989-93)
F - Member, University of Washington, President’s Visitor Advisory Committee:
- Criminal Justice Department
F – Adjunct Professor: Seattle University, Police Science and Administration Department (1977-1989)
- Police Intelligence Systems
- Law Enforcement Management Issues Seminar
- Organization Theory: Public Sector
- Public Sector Decision Theory
Master’s Degree: Public Administration:
- University of Puget Sound (1974)
Bachelor’s Degree(s): Speech/Sociology:
- University of Washington (1968)
Bachelor’s Degree: Police Science and Administration
- Seattle University (1976)
Member, British-American Chamber of Commerce
Guest Lecturer: Various U.S. Adult Learning Programs:
- “Criminal Psychopaths and Serial Murder Investigations”
- Discover University, Seattle, WA (1996- 1998)
- Boston Center for Adult Education, (1997)
- The Learning Annex, Hartford, Conn. (1997)
- The Learning Connection, Providence, Rhode Island. (1997)
Featured Guest Speaker, International Association for Identification Forensic Conference, Danvers, Mass. (1997)
Featured Guest Speaker, The British Fingerprint Society, U.K. (1997)
Invited Speaker, International Forensic Symposium, Israel (1995)
Board of Directors (former), Operation Lookout, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children: U.S. Department of Justice (1995)
The only American Law Enforcement official selected as a Committee Member for the International Symposium on Law Enforcement, Moscow, Russia (1991) (Cancelled due to1991 Soviet Revolution)
Featured Guest Lecturer, Florida Department of Law Enforcement (1992): “Serial Murder: Two Contrasting Cases”
Committee Chairperson, International Association for Identification Ethics/Investigations Committee Chair
Washington State Law Enforcement Training Commission Loaned Executive Program: Consultant to Law Enforcement Agencies.
Washington State Legislative Sub Committee on Missing Persons
- Homicide Investigator Basic and Advanced Training
- Crime Scene Investigation Training. Basic and Advanced
- Threat Assessment Training: Dept of Homeland Security
- Corrections Directors and Managers Seminar
- IBM Executive Planning Seminar
- U.S. Secret Service Dignitary Protection Seminar
- Boeing Co. Management Excellence Seminar
- Public Sector Cost Budgeting
References and Verification provided on request.