Dr. HERBERT E. TOWNSEND, Ph.D., P.E.
Townsend Corrosion Consultants, Inc
7600 Bayshore Drive
Treasure Island FL, 33706
Internationally recognized technical consultant and expert witness to the automotive and construction industries on corrosion performance and testing of coated and alloy steels.
- BS in Metallurgical Engineering, Drexel University (1963)
- PhD in Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania (1967)
Retired following 34 years in the Research Department of Bethlehem Steel Corporation
- Engineer (1967-1972)
- Supervisor (1973-1983)
- Manager 1984-1985)
- Senior Fellow (1986-1991)
- Senior Consultant (1992-2001)
Significant contributions at Bethlehem included: the first construction of high-temperature potential-pH diagrams for the iron-water system by use of the Criss-Cobble correspondence principle; advances to our understanding of the stress corrosion cracking and hydrogen embrittlement of steel fasteners, wire, plate, and pipelines; conducting long-term atmospheric corrosion testing of galvanized, Galvalume, and weathering steels; and determining corrosion mechanisms and developing test methods for automotive sheet steel. Provided leadership in establishing Bethlehem’s laboratory capabilities in electrochemical and surface-analytic capabilities, including EIS, and Auger, XPS, and Raman spectroscopies. A major accomplishment was to lead a research team in developing the relationships between processing, microstructure, and properties that led to the technical and commercial success of Bethlehem's proprietary, hot-dip 55% Al-Zn-alloy coated sheet, Galvalume. Much of this work has been reported over 85 publications, and has resulted in 19 US patents.
Currently provides independent consulting and expert testimony related to the corrosion performance of coated and low-alloy steel products.
PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL ACTIVITIES
- NACE International: Chairman of Unit Committee T14A on Automotive Corrosion (1987-1989), Vice-Chairman, T-3R Atmospheric Corrosion Symposium (1998). Chairman of the Unit Committee on Atmospheric Corrosion (2000-2001).
- NACE International Fellow
- American Society for Testing and Materials: Task Group Chairman for the development of laboratory corrosion test methods for steel framing (2001). Editor of STP 1421, Outdoor Atmospheric Corrosion (2002).
- American Iron and Steel Institute and the Auto/Steel Partnership: Chairman (1992-1996) of the Corrosion Task Force for the development of improved laboratory corrosion tests for automotive sheet steel; Chairman of the Corrosion Advisory Group for the development of high performance bridge steel (2000-2001).
- American Society for Metals: Chairman of the Joint Commission on Metallurgical Transactions (1985-1986); Chairman of the Corrosion Protection Section of the Metals Handbook Volume on Corrosion (1986-1987).
- Bethlehem Steel D. J. Blickwede Research Award for outstanding technical excellence, originality, and creativity (1984)
- Awards for Excellence in Oral Presentation from the Society of Automotive Engineers (1990 and 1997)
- Bethlehem Steel Corporate Achievement Award (1996)
- InterZAC Recognition Award for pioneering studies of the metallurgy and corrosion resistance of Galvalume (1998)
- NACE International F. N. Speller Award for significant contributions to corrosion engineering (1999)
- NACE International Fellow Award (2004)
- ASTM International Fellow Award (2006)