Roland B Brown
National Trucking Safety Consultants, LLC
P. O. Box 5840
2430 Knotty Pine Drive
Navarre FL, 32566
A consultant in trucking fleet operations, including setting up management team, programs and procedures for effective hiring, training and supervising truck drivers. Insure compliance with DOT, OSHA, HazMat and Environmental regulations. Serve as expert witness for plaintiff and defense attorneys, utilizing over 30 years experience in the trucking industry. Expertise include accident investigation, driver qualifications, safety programs and industry standards of the trucking industry. Evaluate what actually caused an accident and then determine if that meets standards of the industry. Worked with approximately 40 law firms in approximately 20 states in the areas of the trucking industry.
Mr Brown has worked in the trucking industry for over 30 years at all levels of management, including middle management, top management and part-owner of trucking companies. Presently employed by a tank transport trucking company as C. O. O. He is certified by National Committee for Motor Fleet Safety (now North American Management Training Institute (a training division of the American Trucking Association) as Certified Safety Director, Certified Accident Investigator and Certified Driver Trainer. All of these are achieved through personal experience in those fields of work, as well as meeting high standards of testing and have proven full knowledge of the programs and procedures of the Training Institute. We stay current on all Safety Regulations as well as DOT and state regulatory agency regulations through membership in American Trucking Association, various state trucking agencies and the National Safety Council. Have served as expert witness in over 60 cases and in approximately 20 states and in federal court in various jurisdictions.
On-site consulting and management of trucking companies or fleet operations, to set up, train and supervise the employees of a company following the procedures we put in place. We train the people to do the job after we are gone and we do periodic on-site reviews to assure the success of our procedures. We devote some time in working with insurance companies who insure trucking operations in underwriting assistance. We examine a potential or exisiting client for insurance companies to improve their loss rates and make recommendations both to the insured and insurance companies as to programs and procedures to improve the situation. We serve as expert witness for defense attorneys in supporting their case that everything has been done that should be done by a safe, prudent and professional fleet operation. We serve as expert witness for plaintiff attorneys in finding facts and forming professional opinions as to the "short fall" of the defendant in doing what a safe, prudent and wise fleet operator should have done. We find the actual cause of the accident and then assist the attorney in building his or her case to present it to the jury.
Worked with approximately 40 law firms in approximately 20 states, geographically located from Montana to Maryland; Florida to Michigan and New Mexico to Alabama. Work with both defense and plaintiff attorneys. Served as expert witness in state and federal court. Assistant in case preparation and developing areas of the trucking industry not usually considered by many attorneys, especially with regard to industry standards and common safety and industry practices.
Areas of Expertise:
- Accident Prevention
- Accident Investigation
- DOT Compliance
- Driver Training
- Employment and Labor
- Hazardous Materials
- Loss Prevention
- Safety, OSHA
- Personnel and Safety Director
- General Manager of Trucking Companies
- Part-owner of Trucking Company
- Driver Trainer & Supervisor
Transportation Safety Consultant, Chief Managing Partner
Consult with trucking fleet operations and warehouses reference hiring, training and supervising truck drivers and warehouse personnel; compliance with DOT, OSHA, HazMat and Environmental regulations; with attorneys reference accident investigation, driver qualifications, safety programs, and custom and ordinary careful, safe and prudent trucking industry practices.
- Attended University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Certifiecation programs from Florida State University, North Carolina State University and Penn State University
- For many years, I have attended specialized training courses, and continue to attend these courses sponsored by state and national Trucking Associations who have developed programs to better equip and train safety managers, operations managers and top management personnel. These are courses designed for people in leadership roles of motor fleet and trucking companies. I continue to regularly attend these courses in an effort to better serve clients in consulting and expert witness cases, and more effectively promote highway safety within the motor fleet industry and transportation companies.
- 1973 & 1976, Safety Supervisor Seminars, Alabama Trucking Association, Pennsylvania State University and National Committee for Motor Fleet Safety, co-sponsors
- 1977, Accident Investigation Seminar, North Carolina Motor Truck Association and North Carolina State University, co-sponsors
- 1990, Certificates of Completion, Safety Supervisor Seminars and Accident Investigation Seminars, at Pennsylvania State University, State College Pennsylvania, and North Carolina State University
- 1993, Certificate of Completion, American Trucking Association, North American Transportation Management Institute of Safety Supervisor Seminar, University of Alabama
- 1999 & 2002, Certificate of Completion, American Trucking Association, North American Transportation Management Institute of Safety Supervisor Seminar, Richmond, Virginia
- 2005, Certificate of Completion, American Trucking Association, North American Transportation Management Institute, Charlotte, NC
- Certified Director of Safety by National Committee for Motor Fleet Safety, State College Pennsylvania
- Certified Director of Safety, Penn State University and National Committee for Motor Fleet Safety
- Certified Driver Trainer, North Carolina State University and National Committee for Motor Fleet Safety
Teaching and Instruction:
- 1976-1978, Instructor, Safety Supervisor Seminars, Alabama Trucking Association, Pennsylvania State University and National Committee for Motor Fleet Safety, co-sponsors
- 1978, Instructor, Accident Investigation Seminar, State Trucking Associations, North Carolina State University, and Florida State University, co-sponsors
- 2003 – Instructor, North American Transportation Management Institute (a division of American Trucking Association), Seminar in Atlanta, GA, for safety directors of motor fleet operations in improving accident prevention, assuring proper recordkeeping and the monitoring systems available for safety directors to monitor activities of drivers to assure compliance of regulations
- 2003 – Instructor, North American Transportation Management Institute (a division of American Trucking Association), Seminar in Charlotte, NC, for divisional safety supervisors, safety directors and individuals working within a safety department in assuring thorough knowledge of the new DOT “Hours of Service” Regulations and offering advise on monitoring systems available.
- 2004 – J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc., Neenah, WI, Seminar leader in Nashville, TN, concerning the requirements of DOT regulations and emphasizing the importance of training and re-training of motor fleet drivers in compliance with DOT and state regulatory issues
- 2005 – National Safety Council, Itasca, IL, Seminar co-leader in New Orleans, LA, concerning defensive driving, accident prevention, risk management programs and specific sessions for safety directors in assuring a well-organized and properly managed safety department to maximize efforts of each individual employed in a safety department
- 2002 – 2005 – Various state trucking association monthly and/or annual meetings, speaking on the importance of a strong safety program that is supported, endorsed and physically supervised by top management personnel. The emphasizes were to assure top management is involved in the development, implementation and the carrying out of a safety program that meets and exceeds all regulatory agencies guidelines and industry standards.
- 1961-1963, Regional Safety Supervisor, Hall Motor Express, Inc., Birmingham, Alabama
- 1965-1969, Regional Safety Supervisor & Divisional Manager, Bowman Transportation, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
- 1973-1976, Vice President/Safety & Personnel, Howard Hall Co., Inc., Birmingham, Alabama
- 1976-1978, Director of Safety & Personnel; 1978-1979, Vice President/General Manager, Colonial Fast Freight Lines, Inc., Birmingham, Alabama
- 1979-1981, Vice President/General Manager, Super Truckers, Inc., Birmingham, Alabama
- 1981-1983, Vice President/Southern Division, Maislin/Gateway Transportation, Montreal, Canada
- 1983-1984, Vice President/Southern Division, American Trans-Freight, Inc., Morristown, Pennsylvania
- 1984-1985, Vice President/Southern Division, SM Transport, Inc., Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
- 1986-1990, Director of Transportation/National Sales Manager, Coral Industries, Inc./Central Alabama Transport, Inc., Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- 1990-1995, Vice President/Sales, Coral Industries, Inc. , Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- 1995-1997, National Sales Manager, Gral Corporation, Upper Marlboro, Maryland
- 1998-2002, Chief Operating Officer, Virginia Tank Lines, Fredericksburg, Virginia
- 1985 – present, President/Owner, Roland B. Brown Transportation Consultant, n/k/a National Trucking Safety Consultants, LLC
- Consult with manufacturers who are required, by nature of their core business to operate commercial motor vehicles, including setting up safety programs, implementing these programs and monitoring the programs as being carried out after I have put the procedures in place.
- Served as consultant to Alabama Public Service Commission in driver’s qualifications and safety regulatory compliance
- Served as consultant to Georgia Public Service Commission; re: driver qualifications and equipment maintenance procedures
- Served as consultant to Florida Public Service Commission; re: record keeping, accident investigation and records relative to accident reports, and in matters concerning driver qualifications and personnel files
Associations & Societies:
- American Trucking Association
- National Safety Council
- Alabama Trucking Association
- Florida Trucking Association
- Former member of Georgia Motor Truck Association
- Former member Virginia Trucking Association
Honors & Awards:
- Special Commendation from Governor, State of Alabama, for special service rendered in Highway Safety Program
Other Pertinent Information:
- 2001 – Certified by North American Transportation Management Institute as an instructor to teach their curriculum in 1-week & 2-week seminars & training assignments. Regularly hold seminars at the request of NATMI throughout the East Coast area.
- 2003 – Certification and Examination for renewal of Certified Driver Trainer by North American Transportation Management Institute – Richmond, VA. Regularly hold seminars at the request of NTMTI in driver training throughout areas east of the Mississippi River.
- 2004 – Re-certification Seminar and Examination by North American Transportation Management Institute as a Certified Director of Safety – Atlanta, GA. Hold seminars at least 2-3 times per year in the “Re-Certification program of NATMI and am qualified to issue re-certification of Certified Director of Safety Certification.
- 2006 – Attended refresher course on Certified Director of Safety requirements, regulations and proposed changes in certification program for instructors, attended 5-day workshop in Alexandria, VA, sponsored by North American Transportation Management Institute
- 2008 – Attended refresher seminar concerning Certification as Certified Director of Safety, concerning revised and updated regulations that have been enacted and implemented during the past 2 years. This seminar was conducted by North American Transportation Management Institute and the Georgia Motor Truck Club, held in Atlanta, GA.
- 2012 – Attended refresher seminar/re-certification for Certified Director of Safety (CDS), concerning revised and updated rules and regulations that have been enacted and implemented over the past four (4) years. This seminar was conducted by North American Transportation Management Institute (a division of American Trucking Association, in cooperation with Florida Trucking Association and University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL