Thomas C. Terrell
Real Estate Education Consultants
2816 Brookshire Drive
Grapevine TX, 76051
Texas Licensed real estate broker. Real estate education consultant, author, lecturer, and expert witness in real estate lawsuits involving broker conduct and breach of fiduciary duty, as well as Real Estate License Act and Realtor Code of Ethics violations. Co-founded National Association of Mortgage Planners, a professional association of mortgage brokers committed to fiduciary based mortgage planning and loan placement for client/borrowers best interest. He has 22 years real estate expert and broker covering breach of fiduciary duties and deceptive trade practices in real estate transaction.
Texas Licensed mortgage broker and real estate broker. Real estate education consultant, author, lecturer, and expert witness in real estate lawsuits involving broker conduct and breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract as well as Real Estate License Act and Realtor Code of Ethics violations. Co-founded National Association of Mortgage Planners, a professional association of mortgage brokers committed to fiduciary based mortgage planning and loan placement for client/borrowers best interest. Former member of Texas Real Estate Commission Broker/Lawyer Committee, contributed to the development of real estate contract forms now used in Texas. Awarded "Outstanding Consumer Advocate and Real Estate Agency Educator." from Texas Real Estate Buyer Agents Association (TREBAA). Featured educator national conventions National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents Orlando, Florida and Washington, D.C. 1997. Licenses: BA Okla.Univ. Real Estate Broker Lic. TX Mortgage Brokers Lic. TX - Since 1976 USMC Capt. Bronze Star w/Combat V (1967) BREACH OF FIDUCIARY DUTY BY REAL ESTATE LICENSEES VIOLATION OF STATE REAL ESTATE LICENSING LAWS AND REGS VIOLATION OF REALTOR CODE OF ETHICS AND MISREPRESENTATION.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- BA, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma, 1961, History major, English/Philosophy minor.
- Attended OU as a United States Navy Midshipman on four-year United States Navy Scholarship.
- Graduated from OU and Commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps in 1961.
- Graduated from Marine Officers Basic School and Communication Officers School in Quantico, Virginia in 1962. Commanding Officer, Communications Support Company, 7th Communications Battalion in 1967 in the Republic of Vietnam
- Attained rank of Captain, United States Marine Corps.
- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 44 hours post graduate work in Religious Education 1968-70
- Texas Wesleyan University School of Law, 12 hours post graduate work in legal subjects
- Texas Licensed Real Estate Broker 1976 to present; Licensed Salesperson 1971-1976;
- Texas Licensed Mortgage Broker 2000-August 2011. (Loan officer and later mortgage broker 1995-1998 before licensing was required)
- Former member of the Texas Real Estate Commission’s Broker/Lawyer Committee which revises and recommends new TREC Promulgated Contract forms to the TREC Commissioners for approval and adoption.
- Texas Real Estate Teachers Association (TRETA), Life member, repeat conference speaker.
- National Association of Mortgage Planners (NAMP), Co-Founder, life member, trainer, former Chairman of the Board. NAMP was created as a professional association of mortgage brokers committed to fiduciary based mortgage planning and placement for the client borrower’s best interest.
- Texas Real Estate Buyer Agents Association (TREBAA) Life Member and Recipient of the Distinguished Service Award as “Outstanding Consumer Advocate and Real Estate Agency Educator.”
- Current Member of the National Association of REALTORS, Texas Association of REALTORS, MetroTex Association of REALTORS.
CURRENTLY CONTRACTED TO TEACH AS ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR IN 2012 FOR:
- University of North Texas (UNT);
- University of North Texas Dallas (UNTD)
- Cedar Valley College (CVC);
- Arlington Board of REALTORS®, Inc. (ARBORI)
- Continuing Education Through Correspondence (CETC) (phone-in instructor assistance)
- Subjects at these institutions include one or more of the following subject areas:
- Real Estate Agency,
- Principles of Real Estate,
- Mortgage Brokerage,
- Real Estate Mathematics,
- Various Mandatory Continuing Education (MCE) subjects such as Real Estate Ethics and Legal, Deceptive Trade Practices, Mediation, Contracts, Agency and Marketing.
- In addition to “in-class” teaching at CVC, developed, in conjunction with Kathleen Terrell, on-line courses in Appraisal, Real Estate Law, Real Estate Mathematics, and Real Estate Principles I and II.
CURRENTLY APPROVED BY THE TEXAS REAL ESTATE COMMISSION (TREC) TO TEACH THE FOLLOWING COURSES:
Through September 30, 2015: (renewed every 5 years)
Real Estate Math; Real Estate Marketing; Real Estate Finance; Law of Contracts; Real Estate Law; Real Estate Brokerage; Real Estate Investments; Promulgated Contract Forms; Law of Agency; Principles of Real Estate; and
Through December 31, 2013 (renewed every 2 years)
“Legal Update MCE” and “Ethics Update MCE” through December 31, 2011.
PREVIOUSLY TAUGHT FOR:
(In addition to teaching or instead of teaching, also developed and/or administered real estate and/or paralegal programs for entities designated with “*”)
- * University of North Texas’s Professional Development Institute (PDI);
- * Texas Christian University (TCU);
- * Texas Wesleyan College (TWC);
- * Texas Wesleyan University (TWU) School of Law;
- Texas Women’s College (TWC);
- Tarrant County Junior College (TCJC);
- * University of Texas at Arlington (UTA);
- American College of Real Estate (ACRE) at multiple locations in Central and North Texas locations;
- Continuing Education Institute (CEI) at multiple locations from Odessa, Midland, Tyler, Longview, and from Wichita Falls to Waco, Killeen, Temple, and including Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington and other Mid-Cities locations;
- Taught in-classroom classes for Continuing Education Through Correspondence (CETC) and served as “phone-in” instructor for correspondence courses;
- Purvis Real Estate Training Institute (RETI);
- Numerous Associations of REALTORS® across Texas such as Abilene, Midland, Odessa, Amarillo, Wichita Falls, Waco, Killeen, Temple, Johnson County, Tyler, Sherman, Denton, Lewisville, Dallas, Ft Worth, NE Tarrant County;
- *Individual real estate brokerage offices in several of the same cities listed above;
- *Guest Speaker at numerous state and national real estate conventions, including RE/MAX Galveston, TRETA; and the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Brokers’ (NAEBA) Conventions in Washington, D.C, and Orlando, Florida;
- DCCCD’s Bill J. Priest Institute for Economic Development in multiple courses in Mortgage Brokerage; and
- Monroe County, Florida Public School system as substitute teacher while full-time in USMC stationed in Key West Florida serving as Executive Officer and Training Officer of Company H, Marine Support Battalion, Naval Security Group Activity, Key West, Fla.
AWARDS, DESIGNATIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS:
- Awarded Adjunct Instructor of Year for Cedar Valley College (CVC) 2006 and nominated for the same honor for the seven-campus Dallas County Community College District.
- Subsequently, awarded the 2006-2007 “Excellence in Teaching Award for Adjunct Faculty” for the entire seven-campus Dallas County Community College District.
- Co-Honored along with wife, Kathleen Terrell, as Affiliate of the Year by the Arlington Board of REALTORS® in Arlington, Texas
- Nominated for Adjunct Instructor of the Year at Brookhaven College (BHC).
- Current Member of the National Association of REALTORS®, Texas Association of REALTORS®, MetroTex Association of REALTORS® and MLS.
- Attained Professional NAR recognized designations in Real Estate of Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) and Seniors Real Estate Specialist (SRES)
- Nationally qualified instructor having taught REBAC/NAR approved courses in Agency and Buyer Representation for CEI at several locations in Texas.
- Rated one of REBAC’s five highest rated instructors nationally with the RealtyU “5.0 Club Award”.
- Texas Real Estate Teachers Association (TRETA), Life member.
- Co-Founder, life member, trainer, former Chairman of the Board for the National Association of Mortgage Planners (NAMP),
- Co-founder of Texas Real Estate Buyer Agents Association (TREBAA) Life Member and Recipient of the Distinguished Service Award as “Outstanding Consumer Advocate and Real Estate Agency Educator.”
- Awarded Bronze Star with Combat ‘V’ for Valor for “…heroic achievement in connection with operations against insurgent Communist (Viet Cong) forces ...” in 1967
- Awarded Navy Commendation Medal w/Combat ‘V’ in Republic of Vietnam during same period for outstanding performance of duty in a combat situation as Communications Officer for the Dong Ha Combat base.
- Awarded Purple Heart in Republic of Vietnam during same period
PRESENTATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS BEFORE PROFESSIONAL AND TRADE ORGANIZATIONS:
- Featured educator at the 1997 national convention of the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents (NAEBA) in Orlando, Florida
- Featured speaker at the second 1997 national convention of the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents (NAEBA) in Washington, D.C
- Seminar instructor for NAEBA convention in Dallas, Texas
- Training seminars for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) on valuing and marketing properties for disposition subsequent to bank take-over process
- Former radio talk show host for my own program called “Real Estate Realities” with KGBS “Hot Talk Radio” 1190 AM, a call-in program for consumers of real estate services and professionals in a special interest and Q&A format.
- Southern Methodist University (SMU) Real Estate Consumer Education Seminars, guest speaker. 1998-2000
- Repeat Conference speaker for Texas Real Estate Teachers Association (TRETA).
- Guest speaker at training seminar for the Tarrant County Appraisal Review Board in Arlington Texas regarding taxation and appraisal issues.
DEVELOPED and/or ADMINISTERED CONTINUING EDUCATION REAL ESTATE PROGRAMS FOR:
- The University of Texas at Arlington (UTA),
- Texas Wesleyan College (TWC),
- Dallas/Fort Worth School of Law
- Texas Christian University, (TCU), and
- UNT’s Professional Development Institute (PDI.)
- In 1994, co-authored, with attorney John Reilly, the first edition and two subsequent editions, of “Texas Real Estate Agency”, a college textbook for real estate courses in agency relationships. The publisher was Real Estate Education Company, a division of Dearborn Financial Publishing, Inc. The first addition of that book was the first textbook (to my knowledge) in Texas based solely on the subject of real estate agency relationships for prospective and active Texas real estate licensees. This text was approved by the Texas Real Estate Commission for use as a text in several colleges and universities in Texas offering pre and post real estate licensing courses.
- Formerly under contract with Educational Textbook Company (ETC), a California based publisher of real estate texts, to co-author that company’s first real estate agency text for Texas. The text was adopted for use by several universities and colleges including UNT and CVC, as well as proprietary real estate schools, including the Arlington Board of REALTORS® Real Estate School.
- Expert Witness since 1991 in real estate lawsuits involving “broker conduct”, “breach of fiduciary duty”, and “deceptive trade practice”.
- Owner of P.R.E.P.A.R.E. Mortgage and a Texas licensed mortgage broker for nine years.
- Prior to the passage of licensing laws for mortgage brokers in Texas, was a loan officer from 1995 to 1998 and an unlicensed mortgage broker from 1998 to 2000, prior to passage of licensing laws
- Owner of P.R.E.P.A.R.E Real Estate and currently an active Texas licensed real estate broker,
- Owner of a real estate education consulting company, Real Estate Education Consultants.
PUBLICATION, PAPERS, ARTICLES:
- 1st Edition of Texas Real Estate Agency with John Reilly and Dearborn Publishing, Inc. 1994
- 2nd Edition of Texas Real Estate Agency with John Reilly. Dearborn Financial Publishing, Inc, 1995
- 1st Edition of Texas Real Estate Agency. I was a contributing author, with principal authors, Rod Rodriguez. Educational Textbook Company, Inc. 2006
- “Choosing to Champion”, Article in TAR Magazine (Ghost written for Gloria Van Zandt)
- “The Buyer Broker Revolution” 1988 article for Dallas Association of REALTORS magazine “Newsline”
- Currently under contract with a proprietary Texas real estate school to co-author with my wife four real estate texts (School to be named after completion)
- Currently under contract with a second real estate school to prepare a real estate negotiation course. (School to be named after completion)
- Reilly, John and Thomas Terrell, Texas Real Estate Agency, 1st Edition. (Chicago, Real Estate Education Company, 1994) Discusses basic legal and ethical issues in the formation, conduct, and termination of agency relationships and fiduciary duties of real estate licensees acting as agents in real estate transactions in Texas.
- Reilly, John and Thomas Terrell, Texas Real Estate Agency, 2d Edition (Chicago, Real Estate Education Company, 1994) Revised to include new laws regarding intermediary relationships and new Texas laws governing those relationships with regard for the ethical and practical implications for real estate licensees attempting to practice this new form of “semi-agency” relationship in the licensee’s real estate transactions.
- Huber, Walt, Rod M. Rodriguez, and Thomas Terrell, Texas Real Estate Agency, 1st and 2nd Editions (Covina, California Educational Textbook Company, Inc. 2006) This updated look at Texas laws governing real estate licensees and their legal and ethical duties in real estate transactions is currently in use in a number of colleges, universities and proprietary schools in Texas.
- Expert Designation Fee: (amount charged to use expert's name, applied to case): $750.00
- Retainer Fee: (usually applied toward the last invoice): $4200.00
- Non-Testimonial: (consulting analysis): $200.00/HR
- Testimonial: (deposition and in court): $200.00/HR
- Travel Policy: (rates): $.45 a mile and at cost